Washington State Driver’s License Hearing
In Washington, before the Department of Licensing (DOL) revokes or suspends your license, you are entitled to request a hearing to dispute the suspension or revocation.
- Request a DOL Hearing
- DOL Financial Assistance Application
- Check the status of a Washington drivers license
Common Reasons for a License Suspension
- Physical Control of a Motor Vehicle
- Hit and Run
- Reckless Driving
- Vehicular Assault
- Failure to Pay Traffic Tickets
- Failure to Pay Child Support
- Too Many Traffic Tickets
DUI License Hearing
If you are arrested and charged with a DUI, you should have been given paperwork telling you that you have 7 days, from your date of arrest, to request a hearing to contest your license suspension. The Department of Licensing charges a non-refundable $375 for the hearing. The DOL may waive the $375 if you qualify for a financial hardship.
You are entitled to have a hearing within 30 days of your arrest date. The hearing is conducted telephonically and involves a hearings officer appointment by the DOL who will evaluate the arresting officer’s report and any evidence submitted by the defense. The police officer will appear at the hearing if requested by the driver.
The hearings officer will consider these 4 issues:
- Whether you were under lawful arrest
- Whether the officer had reasonable grounds to believe you were driving or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any drug.
- Whether you were properly advised of your rights under RCW 46.20.308(2)
- Whether you refused to submit to a test.
If the hearings officer finds that the police officer followed the law and that you were sufficiently intoxicated while driving a vehicle, you will have your license suspended. However, if your attorney can point out mistakes in the police investigation and evidence the DOL will not suspend your license.
While you wait for your DOL hearing, your license will not be suspended unless there is another reason for the DOL to do so. You can check the status of your driver’s license with the DOL here.
Contact an Experienced DUI Attorney
DUIs and DOL hearings are complicated areas of the law. If you are facing a DUI or you are facing a license suspension call our office or use our contact form. There is no charge for contacting us and sitting down with us to discuss your case.