DUI License Suspensions Across State Lines


If you are a resident of Washington and get a DUI in Oregon you may have difficulty driving if your license is suspended as a result of a conviction or DMV suspension.  A common example is a first time DUI in Oregon.  If you qualify for diversion, you may still have your license suspended unless you request a hearing with the DMV within 10 days of your arrest.  Your attorney can help you with that process.  If you do not request a hearing, or you lose that hearing, the DMV will suspend your license for 90 days.  Oregon Diversion does not suspend your license, but you do need to drive with an ignition interlock device in your vehicle for a year.

This 90 day suspension is difficult to deal with if you are a Washington resident.  If the DUI and subsequent license suspension occurred in Washington, you could still drive if you obtain an Ignition Interlock License.  This license will allow you to drive during the entire suspension period as long as you have a working ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle.  However, Washington will not issue the Interlock License if the DUI occurred in Oregon.

Oregon has a hardship permit program that will allow a person to drive on a suspended license after 30 days and that person can only drive to and from work, school or necessary medical appointments.  Under Oregon law, a driver must be an Oregon resident in order to obtain the Oregon hardship permit.  The issue that is not completely clear is whether Washington will allow a person to drive in the state of Washington with an Oregon hardship permit.  The Washington DOL will not issue an official opinion because it does not involve the suspension of a Washington license.

If you are facing a DUI charge in either Oregon or Washington, call our office to set up a free, no obligation consultation.  Licensing issues between Oregon and Washington are complication and always changing.  Talk to an attorney to get the best information and to get the best results.


Leave a Reply